How Chiropractic Care Can Help with Plantar Fasciitis
If you are someone who likes to stay physically active, then you understand just how frustrating it can be if you feel a nagging pain in your foot with every step you take. If this is something that is bothering you, there is a chance that you may be suffering from plantar fasciitis. You have probably heard stories about plantar fasciitis. You may think that this is something that is extremely difficult to overcome. The good news is that there are treatment options available and chiropractic care can help you.
What Is Plantar Fasciitis?
You have a thick band of tissue on the bottom of your foot that connects your toes to your heel. This tissue not only protects the muscles, ligaments, tendons, and nerves of your foot but also allows your foot to function properly with every step you take. Unfortunately, there are situations when this band of tissue can become inflamed. This is plantar fasciitis. Some of the risk factors that may increase your chances of developing plantar fasciitis include:
- High levels of physical activity, particularly in long-distance runners
- Wearing shoes that do not provide adequate support to your arch
- Being overweight or obese
Anything that puts more pressure on the bottom of your foot could increase your chances of developing plantar fasciitis. Some of the most common symptoms of this condition include:
- Plantar fasciitis typically creates a stabbing sensation in the bottom of your foot
- Even though this sensation can show up just about anywhere, it usually develops near your heel
- You may experience pain with your first few steps getting out of bed in the morning
- This pain is usually worse after you exercise but not during physical activity
If you are noticing symptoms of plantar fasciitis, it is important for you to get them treated as quickly as possible. That is where chiropractic care can be helpful.
Chiropractic Care for Plantar Fasciitis
There are several ways that a visit to the chiropractor can help treat plantar fasciitis. Some of the most common treatment methods include:
- A chiropractor can perform adjustments to your feet, ankles, knees, hips, and spine. These adjustments are designed to alleviate pressure on the bottom of your feet, allowing you to relax and heal.
- It is also important to perform stretches on a regular basis to alleviate tension, pressure, and stress on the bottom of your feet. A chiropractor can help you perform specific stretches, exercises, and movements that can help you alleviate aches and pains. This can reduce inflammation in the bottom of your feet, helping to treat plantar fasciitis.
- Finally, the chiropractor can also help you make ergonomic adjustments that shift the weight as you sit or stand over your feet. It might even be helpful for you to wear a splint on your foot at night, alleviating any pressure that could be making your symptoms worse.
These are just a few of the ways that a chiropractor can help you treat plantar fasciitis.
Rely on an Experienced Chiropractor for Help with Plantar Fasciitis
Even though you might think that you need to take prescription medications or undergo surgery to treat plantar fasciitis, this is not always the case. A chiropractor may be able to use manual therapy to help you recover from plantar fasciitis. If you would like to return to the physical activity that you used to enjoy, it is important to treat plantar fasciitis in a complete, comprehensive manner. Our local chiropractor will tailor your treatment plan to meet your individual symptoms and treatment goals while minimizing any potential side effects. So give us a call. We’re here to help!